Saturday, August 10, 2013

Weekend Life, part 2......family time

So, since we're home-bound on right now, with no car; I've been relying on a friend & family to pick up the girls for me. Which, honestly, is okay for now. It only means that on Fridays, since there's not really much time before bed (since school will have started after this Wensday), I'm getting into the freezer dump crock pot meals on the weekends when they're here. Right now, my freezer is pretty full, so I'm collecting recipes that I can use that meat, stock up on it for the month; still be able to use these recipes for 3 weekends, PLUS my husband's & I meals during the week while they're not here. It'll be an interesting run, especially since I've got a budget of $244 for food....and only food products! I found a dry erase board at Dollar Tree this past week that has the 7 days of the week on it, and a pack of 3 color dry erase markers! Perfect, I thought, for menu planning! I can break down the days in 3 parts, using the 3 colors for each meal (makes it easier to explain what color to look at for my 10 y/o). I'm also working on a spreadsheet in Live Documents for myself, because its easier for me to see on a monitor what I'm looking at. I'll try & upload it here, once its complete for August & September. I'm so glad I found these recipes, & as long as I can keep freezer bags stocked around the first part of  the month, then I think we'll be good & have more family time in the evenings!
 Look for another post within the week that has the list of recipes I'm using, sites they came from, & what side (if any) will be pared with it. I won't be writing a grocery list to go with it because I know all pantries are different...but, I thought, this would help those other parent's in our situation have more time with their family, as opposed to taking more time to cook, or spend money they don't have to go out for dinner. I'm hoping, too, that doing this on the weekends, will give me a chance to know what they're learning in school this year, and be able to help them advance. My youngest is redoing 4th grade (not what I wanted...but had no choice...), and my oldest is going into 6th grade this year. New learning curve for her, but she'll do fine. I don't know which teacher my youngest will have, but since they usually do different ones for those held back, maybe a different teaching method is what she needs to help her learn more & concentrate better! Now..back to recipe hunting, menu planning, and shopping list writing.......I suppose today is a good day to multi-task!

No comments:

Post a Comment